[FEEDBACK] Pandemic

Discuss the last knights with players from all countries. Keep it friendly, we're all playing the same game.
Tiralan

[FEEDBACK] Pandemic

Post by Tiralan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Commanders,

We have run a full month of pandemic now. I think only in the first couple of days we had some slight issues with handing out free nobility for example, and during the month we gave it some few new features like kicking caps, LD's being able to pvp and some other things. And I know my decision to drag the age 1 day extra over the newyear was not popular, but I had good reasons for that. These are the topics we are aware of.

So the question is, how did you like it? What should change? What are the best features of it? And where is room for new features?
The answers you give will be used for next years pandemic, and might help us to create new events/gamemodes in which we can offer other exciting challenges.

Let us know what you think!

Talane

Re: [FEEDBACK] Pandemic

Post by Talane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:13 pm

Hello,

Seeing no one answered yet, here are my two cents :
Overall it was pretty fun :) The spread, cap/commanders/main kicking, the pvp are all nice features.
But for what I know, some was frustrated with the pvp : when you first hit the fever commander, you (almost) always got your army injured, and by the time you healed using gold or HT, someone else could 'steal' your target and flawlessly get all the ransom.
Maybe you could set a small timer (10-15 secs) that prevents other players to hit your target ?
I think the amount of gold gained could be less important too. It was a huge advantage for pvp player over ranking ones.
That's all for now, I will edit if anything else comes to my mind :)

Talane

Bialy

Post by Bialy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Yeah the pvp steals were quite annoying - but i do have to admit i did it couple of time :oops:

Loved the spread (no injuries were quite nice) and the fact that pvp gave rewards that allowed to pvp pretty much all the time ;)
But i think Day 5 is too late - Day 2 or 3 maybe would've been better - Day 5 we had few countries left

Cranberry

Post by Cranberry » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Another Pandemic age soon? :roll:

Tiralan

Post by Tiralan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:31 pm

No.

Urcaguary

Post by Urcaguary » Sun May 03, 2020 9:23 pm

*looks out the window*

i guess we got a pandemic going on?

Melbrik

Post by Melbrik » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:26 pm

This was my first age of pandemic fever. I do say I rather enjoyed it and the pvp and random rewards was quite fun.

One piece of feedback I would like to say is the XP for pandemic sfs need to be brought up. It looms to be about 0.5 xp of a regular sf.

The positive here is you can stay lower ranks for longer to get more sfs. The negative to this has been seen this age. You can essentially decide to not start until halfway through the age and you can easily make it on to pandemic leader board and sf leader board. This is frustrating to those who have played from day one of the age that puts in effort for entire age

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:52 am

Personal opinion:
- Failing on an emperor gives too many points. Can be abused a lot.
- Killing an emperor should give 1HT/2HT instead and no other fever reward like MP/gold.
- Emperor should switch to another fever color when it's been killed.
- Clear pandemic tab with everything explained. Everyone should have the same knowledge when playing a pandemic age. Also with a FAQ with difficult situations/exceptions:
* How does an emperor work when it kicks in?
* Who does he focus?
* How does a city get fevered? Odds if people are in a city => higher odds or not?
* What's the order in which a fever tick happens: Emperor moving - Capkicks - Main getting fevered - Cities getting fevered - ...
Atm it's not normal that most of player base don't know exactly how it works and some people do.
* Many other things explained.
- Fever PvP targets should be more individual instead of being available for everyone. Atm it's just people stealing higher ranks PvP first. A few examples:
* Make it possible that you can only target your first rank. Or
* Make it more difficult to target a higher rank/More rank difference (AUTH higher for higher ranks)
* More balancing of fever units. Now some are too easy to be hit by everything.
* Arty armies are very much OP when playing fever age. Can hit anything.
* Play more with Tier 1/2/3 units in fever PvP's. Should have more varities.
* Maybe even give everyone a private PvP target so everyone got a chance to hit something. Now it's get instahit by all arty armies while all other armies need to spy before hit.
- Make fever PvP more easy at blue/green ranks. At blue ranks it can be difficult for lots of different kind of units. Need more balancing of units being able to only flawless a few fever PvP's, but almost impossible to hit others. Should be more balanced.
- After x amount of days delete blue fever PvP targtes. Also delete green fever PvP near age end. It's just spam on border.

Tiralan

Post by Tiralan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:10 am

- Failing on an emperor gives too many points. Can be abused a lot.
Somewhat agreed, but its in the tactic. With say 6-7 nations left as we saw during this age its hard to play with, however, with 4 nations left it becomes a farm mechanic. I see that, sure, but since multiple Emps is broken as it stands there is not a lot I can do. Unless Im online the tick it dies, then I could allocate it to another color. Parts of this is a bit broken, we have to adress that for next year, sure, but at the moment we are working with what we know that is working, to prevent bugs and other bullshit during an event age.

- Killing an emperor should give 1HT/2HT instead and no other fever reward like MP/gold.
You just said its farmable, so not seeking to reward it anymore. At the end of the line its just a normal city with a big Emp in it, the fact that it can give any other reward like the other cities sounds fine to me. And who doesnt like to wake up with 5mp :)

- Emperor should switch to another fever color when it's been killed.
Sure, when Im online I can manually switch them to another color. The endgoal is multiple Emps at the same time. However, as said, that code is currently not working perfectly with Emps bullshitting over eachother and whatnot.

- Clear pandemic tab with everything explained. Everyone should have the same knowledge when playing a pandemic age. Also with a FAQ with difficult situations/exceptions:
I dont feel like certain knowledge is not known by the masses. Ofcourse, there are some vague principles that we like to keep in the vague, for example how the spread happens, what the exact odds are, how the odds are calcuted and whatnot, same for the odds of the rewards. Ofcourse, the developers know more than the rest. But they should be expected to either keep their mouths shut when its not public knowledge. There are 2 options, either we dont want it public, then they cant share it, or they should seek ways to get it into faq/pandemic page. There should be no middle ground between those, that I agree on.

* How does an emperor work when it kicks in?
Spawns, is big, walks 2mps towards the closest main.

* Who does he focus?
From an admin standpoint I should say that it chases the closest main, however, players already figured out how the logic works.
This is a thing that should not be public knowledge and is discovered by experience. Yes, it might chase some royalty, it might change it future, it might have a choice. We have some freedom here to secrecy and suprise.

* How does a city get fevered? Odds if people are in a city => higher odds or not?
In my believe that was an admin setting to prefer people or not. However, that admin-setting is missing from the pandemic admin-panel. So thats something to reinstall and then Im more than willing to share that information (be it via roleplay or on the pandemic page) to share that knowledge. This age I set 2 colors to focus commanders, the other 2 don't. It is what it is :)

* What's the order in which a fever tick happens: Emperor moving - Capkicks - Main getting fevered - Cities getting fevered - ...
Atm it's not normal that most of player base don't know exactly how it works and some people do.

The knowledge players have can only be obtained through experience. Its still a social game, if experienced players have some kind of edge over new players, thats nothing new and happens in every single game. Again, this is asking for the exact order in which the code proceeds. Thats usually not playerknowledge as it could be split-second abused if known, and we hate that. Everything is happening in roughly 10 seconds and can be all counted as one instance. capkicks/mains/cities is all in the same calculation, emp is 2 seconds after that, whatever :P

- Fever PvP targets should be more individual instead of being available for everyone. Atm it's just people stealing higher ranks PvP first. A few examples:
I dont agree. Its an event for everybody, people who want to solo it, focus it, be a bitch with it, be my guest. From a nation's standpoint it would be best to divide the pvps and thus the rewards, so you are all stacked and ready for real pvp, when it comes to it.

Fever PVP Balancing
Not a big fan. Its an event, I dont want to balance it to the softspot as its almost impossible to do, especially if you want a one-size-fits-all for all the maps. Yes, we can make it harder, but is that letting the players enjoy the event more? It will only lead to more complaining, we all know that. More T3, less targets, harder for Arti.. We can all do that, but if thats really desired, I have strong feelings it will hurt more than it will help.

The commanders are generated based on the abundance of players of a certain rank. The more people are running arround the world of a certain rank, the more of those commanders will spawn. We deemed that once as the most effective way of distributing it. Could that be revamped, sure, but then suggest a better way to calculate it without it needing too much calculation-power, as the pandemic tick already does a lot within a couple of seconds, we like to keep it down to that 10-15 seconds.

Making it an individual thing, the pvps, removes all pandemic medal opportunities, then its just a sf medal 2.0 and with the pvps giving extra points we try to prevent that and have a little bit more to it. But then again, if this was normal medal distribution I would be on my toes with balancing, but for 2 ages a year, which should not be broken, sure, but balancing it to perfection is hard and most likely a waste of time and will only lead to moaning. However, I will look into preventing arty-spam on the pvps, 10 extra units on the melee units should do the trick there.