What's the general etiquette for Telegram?

Questions and answers for new players. (and old players are welcome too!)
Chosenina

What's the general etiquette for Telegram?

Post by Chosenina » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:14 am

Hi, I was introduced to TLK a few weeks ago, after my friend started sharing nostalgic old games with me, and found it really fun and addicting :D

TLDR; My friend has been teaching me basics and I've recently downloaded Telegram for better comms, but I've been having a pretty negative experience regarding it. I was wondering what the general etiquette was for the chat (calling/mentions frequency and expected response rate)? 📧

Context:
The question comes because although I've been trying to stay up to date with the chat, it seems pretty impossible and unreasonable to attend every SF at every second of the day, which makes it incredibly stressful. Some lovely country members have told me to mute everything from Telegram, which has helped. 🌻

However, there's an instance a while ago where I was gone for 2 minutes to take a bathroom break, and I received 4 pings in chat and a call(?) Although when other people slacked for longer, they would barely get pinged at all? It almost feels like they're targeting me 🎯, and feels like they turn passive-aggressive to me if I'm just not online 24/7. :oops:

Is this normal? Are several calls normal? Have others experienced the same thing and how'd you deal with it? I would also assume that if I'm away for 8 hrs+, people would realise I'm asleep (in Australia), but I still get pinged after 5 hours of inactiveness. I would still love to dearly play TLK though - it's mechanically incredibly fun and addictive, has so much potential and great social aspects of it too :D

Chosenina

Re: What's the general etiquette for Telegram?

Post by Chosenina » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:17 am

Edit: I also know they're probably pinging me with good intentions 😇 but it's just really hard to ignore sometimes - especially because you're just reading text that sounds PA, and you can't see the human behind it. I personally think calls are crossing the boundary though - thoughts :?:

Mysterious

Post by Mysterious » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:48 pm

> Is it normal? No. It's not normal to go offline during SF time while you're expected to lead/join. ;) :!: :idea: :arrow: :roll: 8-)

Sharumo

Post by Sharumo » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:35 pm

I turned most notifications off and made sure they couldn't call me
It's annoying if people leave mid wheel, but it's just not done to call them to join or do stuff
People really should realise this is a simple game people try to play to relax and have fun
The fun part goes away when people stalk others

Also, just ignore notifications if you're busy. People tried to get me into helping out when I'm working. I just ignore them or show them I'm quite pissed about it

Chosenina

Post by Chosenina » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:18 am

:D Thanks guys - thanks Sharumo, thats exactly my thoughts! Just want to enjoy the game and have fun. Definitely had to do the same ignoring during work thing lol glad someone could relate. 🥰

@Mysterious, hmm yeahh... I do understand one standpoint that going offline during SF time is bad, especially since you need people to join. And the reasoning is because slacking wastes other peoples precious time.⏰

I also wanted to offer my perspective a little though. Some calls were when I was not in a wheel, just casually sleeping in downtime. But even so, in professional jobs, humans are allowed to sleep and go to the bathroom. I don't see the need to call after 2 minutes you see an employee go offline? (I calculated yes exactly 2 mins, fastest piss in the east). ✌️😔

Also who the heck calls a RANDOM on their first day of playing the game, to berate them that they're not online, non mid wheel?????? 🚩

I see it as a pretty big red flag that some chatters get really, really agitated over the actions of other players within a text browser game - that they view others as not the humans behind it who have daily lives and jobs. For those that do, I suspect their anger is fueled solely by micromanaging people when they are online or offline and basically playing the game for us - if that's the case, i'd rather them spend their time getting another account somehow. (Not a dig but actual suggestion for the game to implement)

For context (i timed one of our SF's that ran from 2am to 3am), and there'd always be an intermission time for about 5-8 minutes. Me being away for 2 minutes caused a barrage of calls/passive aggressive messages, while someone else who is friends with the planner is away for like 5+ minutes, immediately after, is just kindly pinged (imo) once

This was also my first and only time slacking mid wheel, and for something urgent(?) literally was gonna piss my pants because it took so long. So I've had a pretty clean track record beforehand.

Anyway rant over, sorry. Thanks everyone for the fun 2 ages but I think this just isnt the game for me no hard feelings. Loved most of yall tho 🥰

Chosenina

Post by Chosenina » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:53 am

Also, let's make calling randoms you don't know socially unacceptable. It's not accepted anywhere else, let's not make it okay here. 😇

Tiralan

Post by Tiralan » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:36 pm

There is no etiquette as we can't enforce it.
Telegram is a community-tool which the game uses as an enhancement
In the past it was mIRC, stacks used whatsapp, discord was another option when choosing for Telegram.
The use of these is not mandatory but optional.
We can admin the channels we own, we cannot admin anything people do arround it.
Yes, the reason somebody calls you is TLK-related, however, since that cannot be proven we can and will not enforce that.

With that being said, playersrules or etiquette will be just that from our point of view.
Telegram gives you the option to mute everything you ever want to mute.
If you can play you can enable pings/calls, if not you can disable them.
Thats as good as it gets.

spyke

Post by spyke » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:24 pm

Chosenina wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:53 am Also, let's make calling randoms you don't know socially unacceptable. It's not accepted anywhere else, let's not make it okay here. 😇
Hey Chosenina, reading what you said, it might be better to just avoid joining telegram country chat and just keep some peeps who introduced you in the game for communication.

If this goes bad, just delete telegram and play via in game only (make sure to let that known as an info in your profile)