Age 400 is nearly upon us!

Official announcements
Myth

Age 400 is nearly upon us!

Post by Myth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:18 am

And to celebrate, we have a BRAND NEW MAP to unveil.

Well over a year ago we were approached by Mikayel with the question if and how he could work on a new map for TLK. With some minor instructions and guidance he started working on the very first map built by a community member!

I'm pretty sure there were times he regretted the decision but he hung on and is now pushing hard on some final changes to make sure it's ready for age 400! Congratulations!

This new map will run Age 400 (stack), and Age 401 (random). Age 402 onwards will be decided by map voting as usual.

About age 399: The new map required some code changes. These changes have been activated for age 399 already. If all goes well you shouldn't notice anything different however.

If you are new or returning, come join us for Age 399 to warm up and be sure to check out the Change Log for any updates you may have missed:
https://lastknights.com/Log

Mikayel

Re: Age 400 is nearly upon us!

Post by Mikayel » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:18 am

Hey all!

It has been a hell of a ride for me! I started working on this America map 20 months ago. Initially my plan was to draw only the map, which was the most fun part for me. All the rest - terrain, countries, units, balancing and etc. I had hopes that other people will do it but alas, I was the one mostly pushing things forward, so instead of going live 10 months ago, the map is "ready" now 8-)

Nonetheless I had helpers and without them I would've been nowhere right now:

- Myth - Without this hero I had no real chances of completing anything. He created for me several helpful tools; changed a small detail in a certain mechanic of the game, after I whined it needed it; was always here helping me with hints. His contribution is huge, so thank you buddy!

- Nubby - When you see a new icon out there, it's all Nubby (I think). He has been silently adding or editing icons after our every change. And there's no way I would've done something like that, ever :D. Yes, I can manually draw a map, but no way I can draw hats, guns and etc. Special thanks to you Nubby!

- Dr_Pyro - He researched quite a lot of historical data. Thus, helped with naming cities (There's one city on the map, which is all foleor's, you will know when you find it - it is/was a real city btw) and countries. Also helped me with terrain, initial unit ideas and item ideas. In general, was a good support throughout the development of the map!

- Quickstrike and Vaael - these two are responsible for item stats and partially country bonuses, considering that I had no clue what to do with them :) So thanks

- Frans and Monacle - Two of the people who actually tried to help with balancing unit stats, but couldn't contribute a lot of time to it. Still, you know who to blame for the stats - me :P

- There are a lot of other people who came to help, then life caught up with them and needed to step aside. We are talking about all parts of the development and testing as well. mentioning all of them is useless, so I'm just going to say: thank you all! Even though your contribution is 0.01% :P It is nonetheless appreciated.

- Lastly, Nuvelle & Co - thank you for giving me the green light to make this happen. I always wanted to create this map, so that people can have more fun :)

A few words for the map in general:
1. The most completed parts, which probably I won't allow to be changed, are: The map itself, terrain, city names, countries. So, all the basic stuff.
2. The parts that are completed partially, but due to lack of testers, might be broken are those directly connected with balancing pvp and training.

Currently, the balance is not like on any map. There are a lot of hard-counter pvp units, a lot of unique units that can do well versus unexpected opponents, some units that can be perfect in ranking but are more than terrible in pvp, so go out there and experiment - give me that data I really need! :D And in relation to the new PvP balance, there is also a new training balance ... and I mean it - it's entirely new. Ofcourse, you won't feel it in any way - you still click the same buttons, but the numbers behind it are different. So, I want to apologize beforehand if you find some broken units out there. I will try to finetune them before age start, but testing takes all my time.

Lastly, please don't rage at me too much if you don't like something. Keep in mind I invested in this map a very large part of my free time, which I could've used for my personal life. And I mean it - hours, days and months have been wasted in drawing, researching and testing the balance. Imagine some days, after 8 to 10 hours of work, I came home and continued working on the map 4 to 6 hours more. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, because I wanted to see this map done :) And I do not regret my decision to do this. Maybe if I decide to create a new map next time ... I will just draw it and use existing units xD.

I hope you will have fun!

Of course, all balance related comments will be appreciated (check the other part of the forum with balance suggestions), however if you propose something - I will likely ask you to come test that something with me before we actually change it. Changing something solely based on calculations, without backing up that with tests - will never happen (if I actually decide to take part in the post-production balancing process).

Destrega

Post by Destrega » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks so much for your efforts :D

crazydude

Post by crazydude » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:00 pm

well done !!

Vadertlk

Post by Vadertlk » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:09 am

Why is the garrison Euro units? Gonna be hard to sd with weak American units.

Myth

Post by Myth » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 am

Vadertlk wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:09 am Why is the garrison Euro units? Gonna be hard to sd with weak American units.
This is indeed something that was still on the to-do list. However due to lack of testers we did not yet find time to tweak those. We did find sf'ing maybe a bit harder but definitely not too hard as it is. I would be careful soloing however. Even at marq.

Vadertlk

Post by Vadertlk » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Strong unit balance. 1 decent one and the rest suck.

Vadertlk

Post by Vadertlk » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:43 am

Purple Garrison is op with euro units in it. Main drops suck. Why after 2 years was it nit updated to current units?

Mysterious

Post by Mysterious » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm

Braves are way too op... compare them to Frontierman and you see they overpower them in every stat... And we're comparing arty to cav here.