(non) random joining

Tag each thread title with [IDEA] or [SUGGESTION].
Lumumba

(non) random joining

Post by Lumumba » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Hey

After talking to some people about my idea and people really liking it I decided to post it on the allmighty forums.

- Random age: People complain that there's lots of slack / no planners enough to be distributed amongst countries / long boring ages / ...
- Stack ages: People complain it's only fun for the stacks themselves / Low amount of playerbase resulting in only 2-3 stacks nowadays who don't even fight each other usually / non-stacked countries who try suddenly get a full online main at border against which they can't do anything against / non-stacked countries who usually just kill off other non-stacked countries just to survive as long as possible until a stack attacks them / ...

So why not try out something in between? Instead of having a cap of 7 people in a country at age start, make it 4. As soon as there are 4 people in all countries, make it random joining only. (people can also random join before there are 4 in every country ofc to always be able to benefit from the extra 2 HT, also when random joining after all countries have 4 in)
Then for exemple after 2 days you can active random + non-random joining again so people can still go where they want after their country dies + to not be stuck in a country that doesn't fit your units.

Advantages:
- 2 or 3 stacks don't hoard all active players and f*ck up the age since they usually don't fight each other. Imo how they are being played right now they could just hand out silver and gold to the 2 stacks and let them play rock paper scissors for 1st.
- No/Less chance full online mains on border, as you'll get always random people in your country making it more fair for non-stacked countries to try and do stuff.
- New type of tactical play as you can only stack with 4 people and have to rely on each other more also with planning.
- More (non-official) alliances will occur in this type of playing. You might get 8 people to stack with and divide over 2 countries for exemple.
- Longer and balanced stack ages.

I don't want it to replace stack ages or random joining ages. More like a new mode to try out and maybe add to the rotation. I also don't think it requires a lot of programming to achieve this.
Of course it's just an idea and maybe could even make it 3 people or 5 people or whatever. It's more about communicating the general idea.

Distance

Seb

Re: (non) random joining

Post by Seb » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Boooooooooo, what is this? Git gud, nooblet.

Also a thousand thumbs up, love the idea. And the person behind it. But in any case, my opinion is non-biased.

Eleaoren

Post by Eleaoren » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:29 pm

This looks like a good idea to me, it's worth trying to atleast! :)
If it works well and feedback is good stay with it, if it's not working change things back the way they were.

Sharumo

Post by Sharumo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:00 pm

Stack ages are the worst for those who aren't in it.
Your idea is good, but stack ages has to stop

KingDinger

Post by KingDinger » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:41 am

Stack ages only suck cos half the countries are stacks. Half do nothing and the other half are ready within half a day. If training to a ready state took less than 30 minutes then countries would be either ready in a few hours or able to turn shit around within a few hours. Just by getting players to a viable position.

Grey ranks mean nothing and never have. Blue ranks are mostly irrelevant and the only reason someone is stuck there is because of poor unit power (pvp units training is retarded) or unsure about the game or not enough time investment.
Now there's some bloody glaringly obvious fixes to those issues.
Turn grey into nothing short of a 5 minute tutorial. Little bit of exposition, little bit of newbie info thrown in your face. Simplify the fuck out of it. Hell, all but remove it. Make it just be a couple of visual scenarios where you get to pick an army and it shows you how or why it works. Example: rock paper scissors style army picking and vsing. It gives you a choice of the basic units and then describes a few scenarios you get to vs and the words match what comes up. None of this "you meet some mounted assholes attacking a town" and then the battle is 10 ranged 5 cav and 20 inf. It's literally 20 cav. So an anti cav army would pick to vs that.
Bring back the old scenarios making sense. And a path to follow.
Stop living in the past. Teach ppl how to play, stop expecting others to do it for you. No one teaches or explains anything.

Then for blue rank that's when you pick an army. And you literally start with a full complement of units. With a single click you get an army of a single unit set of the recommended number (adjust t1 wages to better reflect an army size that works) give the ability to afterwards replace units to make any mix you want, but streamline the whole beginning. Point people in the right direction, so no one is sitting doing 80xp runs for the first 10 hours.
Make all blue training easier. What units are in training battles? Simplify it so its the most basic amounts for the rank before, so anything can train fairly. Adjust all the hard trainer and separate the armies past the green ranks.

Now I'm sure someone is just going to say it caters to stacks and caters to rankers. No it literally just removes the pointless parts of the game and shortens the tedious parts.

If I went through a split all the changes made in the past to cater to lower player base I'm sure there's a ton of changes that either negatively impact the gamestate today or just counteract other changes.